Naturopath | Nutritionist | Medical Herbalist
BNMH, DipNut, MNMHNZ, MNZAMH
Hello - thank you for your interest in having a consultation with me!
My love for natural medicine began a long time ago, when, under the guidance of a naturopath, I had huge personal success using herbs and supplements to improve my health. I had always wanted to work in an area where I could make a positive impact on others lives, so once I discovered naturopathy I knew it was a perfect fit.
I hold both a Degree in Naturopathy & Herbal Medicine and a Diploma in Nutrition from Wellpark College, where I graduated as top clinical practitioner. My clinical practice involves combining modern research, traditional knowledge, and my clinical experience to meet you where you are at, supporting you to achieve your health goals through natural medicine and dietary + lifestyle changes. I believe wellbeing should be achievable for everyone. Therefore, when you work with me you will receive a holistic, tailored, realistic and achievable health plan, with gentle accountability from me throughout the process to top it off!
Health can feel overwhelming, as can navigating the masses of information out there. This is why it is so valuable to have a practitioner working alongside you in your health journey, ensuring you save money and time in the long-run by having a tailored and targeted approach to your health. I love working with my clients to establish what their barriers to optimum health & wellbeing and underlying causes of dis-ease may be, and then how these may be positively influenced through the various modalities of naturopathy, herbal medicine, and nutrition. This ensures long-lasting change, as opposed to simply treating symptoms (although don't worry, we'll also find some relief for your symptoms in the short-term!). Each individual is different, as is their health story, and this is why my approach to each case is carefully tailored to the individual.
Special areas of interest:
- Preconception, fertility, & pregnancy. Whether you are a while into your fertility journey, or are considering a family in the future, there is much that natural medicine can offer to support conception, reduce the risk of miscarriage, optimise health of both you and your baby, and support a gentle birth. An ideal preconception care plan should start 3 months before trying to conceive, unless there are major health concerns that need addressing. However, no matter your goals or where you are in your fertility journey, I would be happy to help you.
- PMS & hormonal imbalances. A healthy menstrual cycle shouldn't come with symptoms such as pain, mood swings, and skin breakouts. If this is the case, there are some key herbs, nutrients and dietary strategies that can help support a happy, healthy menstrual cycle. In some cases, functional testing such as the DUTCH test can be useful to pinpoint exactly what is going on with your sex and stress hormones, for a more targeted treatment approach.
- Mood, stress & overwhelm. All too common in the 21st century, stress is a factor in a large majority of my client's lives. The good news is that there are so many options to help reduce stress and anxiety and improve mood long-term, without a high risk of side-effects.
- Autoimmune, poor immunity & post-viral syndromes. Diet, supplements and herbs can offer incredible benefit to your immune system, whether it is overactive, underactive, or something in between. This may show up as autoimmune conditions such as Hashimotos; skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema or fungal overgrowth; frequent colds, flus, or infections; or fatigue and weakness following a virus or infection.
- Food sensitivities, allergies, & intolerances. Through case-taking, carefully considered dietary trials, and functional testing (where required) such as blood antigen tests, we can work to get to the bottom of whether there are any foods that may be contributing to your symptoms, or negatively impacting your health, before creating a plan to heal from, or manage, these.
- Health optimisation & healthy ageing. Also known as 'preventative medicine', even if you don't have a specific health concern at present, annual or biannual naturopathic consultations offer an opportunity to do a 'health review' and ensure you maintain a state of good health into the future.
Even if none of the above sound like you, feel free to get in touch if you'd like to chat about how I may be able to help you - it's always about treating the person, not the condition!
Click here to make a booking with Alena.
"We are doing so well. Our little girl is not so little anymore and is growing up way too fast!!! We are so much in love with her, she is a joy everyday. Your help and support from the very beginning, even before we fell pregnant has been the most valuable experience through our very long fertility and pregnancy journey. Thank you for your love and guidance through it all, I know the reason we have a very happy and healthy precious little girl has a big part to do with the health and well-being you made possible for us both to achieve."
"I’ve been working with Alena for the past 6 months and could not be more happy with the results I’ve seen. Our focus has been on gut and skin health, using a combination of nutrition, herbs & lifestyle practices to overcome some challenges I had been facing for years. She has provided a clear and accessible guideline for me to follow and the all of the support necessary for me to fulfil that commitment to myself. My favourite part of working with Alena has been her amazing attention to detail, combined with her compassion & care for each individual. I have already recommended her services to friends and will continue to do so - she is an incredible naturopath. Thanks Alena!!"
"Working with Alena completely changed my life... I had tried pretty much everything in the natural book to help restore my totally dishevelled nervous system after a very difficult year. I knew seeing an herbalist could help, but I never imagined the depth of restoration my body and mind received through working with Alena and taking the herbal combinations we chose together. She is a deeply gifted naturopath with a keen awareness unlike any other healing professional I have worked with. Not only did we thoroughly explore different herbal solutions and styles of remedy (tinctures, essences, teas), but we built up a complete regimen of care that allowed me to return to feeling like myself for the first time in over 12 months. I am deeply grateful for the knowledge and understanding Alena brought to the table through our visits... She is definitely pursuing her calling and healing feels like a natural occurrence in her presence."
"After a journey of over three years struggling with my gut health – engaging a naturopath in Auckland; working with doctors; Gastro specialists and spending a couple of weeks in hospital with a bleeding duodenum ulcer I was feeling exhausted from the battle. I was told I’d have this ulcer and be on Omeprazole for life which I wasn’t prepared to accept. It was time for some big life changes to heal myself properly so I moved to Raglan and soon discovered the amazing Alena at The Herbal Dispensary. Alena’s warmth, openness, sage, and confidence in helping me heal was a delightful surprise and uplifting. Within three months of working together my ulcer had completely healed and within four I was off Omeprazole! My doctors and specialists were shocked on how quickly I recovered. The attention, care and personalized design that Alena put into my healing plan was incredible - I didn’t realize this experience of achieving optimal health through such clear, effective and educational support was out there. I’m hugely grateful to Alena for helping me not only heal but for giving me the tools I need to continue to look after myself. I’m completely healed, off all the drugs, eating a normal diet with the occasional indulgences and I feel fantastic! Alena is remarkable and is defining the future of what I hope many more people can experience when overcoming health issues and optimizing their quality of life."